Thursday, March 31, 2011

The Silver Stone by Joel Rosenberg

The Silver Stone (Keepers of the Hidden Ways)
Review written December, 1999
Here's another one where far too much time had passed since I read the first book in this series. I think the third one is actually out in the bookstores, so the fault is strictly my own. However, I was lost through much of the book, because I couldn't for the life of me recall "what had gone before."
 
Nevertheless, I've always enjoyed Rosenberg's style, and this book was no exception. I started reading his stuff back when he first published his Guardians of the Flame stuff, and have eagerly devoured anything he's published. I'd suggest, however, that you read the first book in the series, The Fire Duke, before starting on this one.
 
Again (I guess), we follow the adventures of Ian Silverstein, aka Silver Stone as he is drawn into the mythical world of Tyr na nog, where Norse mythology plays a very important part in the tale. Odin tricks Ian and his companions into undertaking a quest, which is not exactly what it seems to be. He's supposed to deliver a message to the Sons of Tyr asking them to back off from the precipice of war upon which they're poised.
However, some of the Sons think that Ian is the Promised Warrior, who will lead them to victory and dominion over the entire land. Others don't believe he's the promised one, and most of Ian's challenges on his quest revolve around this conflict.
 
Actually, the whole story is a little shallow, but it kept me entertained for a few hours. Ian's companions are all somewhat one-dimensional, in my opinion, just a great bunch of guys and gals - doing the right thing whatever the odds.

No comments: