Saturday, March 5, 2011

Book Blogger Hop - March 4 to 7

Book Blogger Hop

Time for another Book Blogger Hop, hosted by Jennifer at Crazy for Books.

Today's question:
"Who's your all-time favorite book villain?"

Saruman, from Lord of the Rings trilogy by Tolkien.

Just like most of the characters which Tolkien wrote, Saruman had a well thought out history. We glimpse bits and pieces of it through the trilogy, and in the LotR apocrypha. The wizards in Middle Earth were basically powerful angelic beings sent to oppose evil, and were very highly regarded by both elves and men. Saruman, like another famous semi-literary figure, fell victim to his pride, and eventually a lust for power. In his brief dialogs with Gandalf it becomes evident that his ego must be fed at all times, and one who was in the high councils of the mighty found himself craving more. More recognition, more power, more knowledge. He was the expert on the Palintiri, and looked deep into the heart of Sauron, who deceived him into believing that Saruman and Sauron could rule Middle Earth together. He's such a great villain because he just feels "real", not like some cardboard cutout thug placed in the story only as a foil for our hero.

6 comments:

Shirley said...

Oh yes, Saruman, the great and evil wizard! Great choice!!

Thanks for visiting my blog! Stop my Monday for a book giveaway-Utopia Texas by Betty Byrd.

Karen said...

That's a good choice.
Have a great weekend!

Unknown said...

Interesting choice ... returning your visit from the Hop.

Getting Your Read On said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. I agree about reading. I've read to my kids from the time they babies and all of them are readers now. I love it. It's a tradition as my mom read to me and her father read to her. I hope my kids do the same. Looking forward to seeing your reviews.

Marla said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I'm going to add you to my blogs followed queue. BTW, my follow button is located immediately below my archive list on the right-hand sidebar. I hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Carissa said...

Saruman! Great choice. I can say that this is not a character I have seen mentioned in a lot of posts this weekend. I have to say that I also enjoyed Wormtongue a great deal as well!