Monday, January 24, 2011

Torch of Freedom by David Weber

Torch of Freedom (Honor Harrington Series)
This was the first book I got to read on my new Nook, so I'm not sure whether it seemed a little slow at the beginning because I was still getting used to the e-reader or whether it was a true perception of the pace of the tale. I'd missed this one somehow when it came out, and when I read Mission of Honor, there were some events from Torch that were referenced, so I had to go back and catch up.

As you might guess from the title, most of the story has to do with events surrounding the new star kingdom of Torch, which was wrested from Manpower's control by former slaves, and now is ruled by Anton Zilwicki's daughter, Berry. Manpower has gathered a fleet of former Havenite state security fugitives and is getting ready to attack the planet, and massacre its populace. Much of the novel bounces around between the various forces in play, setting up the final battle scene.

There is a major plot line involving Victor Cachat and Zilwicki's infiltration of the Mesan home world, to try to gather information and figure out what's really going on behind the scenes with Manpower and Mesa. If you've already read Mission of Honor, you know the outcome of that. If not, I won't spoil anything for you.

There's only one brief cameo appearance by Honor Harrington in this book, when Cachat and Zilwicki meet with her to tell her what they believe is happening. All of the other Manticoran characters we've come to know and love remain mostly off stage, as well. A good read, and now I feel like I'm up to speed once more.

No comments: