Thursday, January 27, 2011

Short Takes

3/5/08 Finished reading The Sapphire Rose last night. I think Eddings writing was already starting to go downhill at this point. He spent more than two books describing the quest to find the cure for Princess Ehlana, then Sparhawk travels halfway around the world and destroys a god in the last third of the third book. I'm sure I'll have to re-read the Elenium as well, as long as I'm on this Eddings kick, but I don't promise to enjoy it. The characters in this batch of books are all right, but they're not nearly as varied and well-developed as the ones in the Belgariad and Malloreon. Nowhere near as much witty repartee, either.

3/7/08 Finished reading Chesty Puller's bio, Marine. One of the most interesting quotes I saw was from Puller in 1952, saying "What the American people want to do is fight a war without getting hurt. You can't do that any more than you can go into a barroom brawl without getting hurt." Fifty five years ago, Puller saw the heart of the problem that we're dealing with today, trying to fight against Islamic terrorists.

2 comments:

Deepali said...

Eddings did a complete rip off of his own first series (the belgariad) on this next Sapphire Rose series.
Completely downhill, you are right.

I had to finish Elenium anyway, that is just how I am. Even considering that Sparhawk's character and lines began grating on me half way through.

Jon said...

@Deepali - the only things worth buy after he finished the Belgariad and Malloreon were Belgarath and Polgara, just for the insight they provided into Eddings' world building. Kinda like the Concordance for his world.