Monday, March 7, 2022

A Deadly Education by Naomi Novik

 I had read some of Novik's Temeraire series a while back, and she seemed like a good author, so I took a chance on her new YA series. 

The first book was quite entertaining; enough so that I checked out a copy of the 2nd book in what appears to be destined to be a trilogy. 

The Scholomance is like Hogwarts without a sense of humor, perhaps more like a Marine Corps boot camp which tries to eliminate, in this case with extreme prejudice, most of the recruits before their incompetence might kill other fighters. Or maybe it's got a bit of a deadly serious version of Clouseau vs. Cato, where one can be attacked at any time without warning.

Good fun.

1 comment:

Mmouse said...

Let us know what you think after the 3rd in the trilogy comes out. It's better for me to wait and read them all together. My feeble memory usually requires me to re-read 1 and 2 if too much time lapses between them and #3. Good to read a Steel Bookshelf review again. (marsha)