Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Mini Meet

Traveling seems, for me, to put a serious dent in my blogging output, unless of course I can blog about travel, or perhaps take the time to blog about blogging. This post does both. 

I've always wanted to attend one of the blog meets that I read about in other folks' blogs, but it seems that the concentration of bloggers out in the Northwest is a little thin, and perhaps they're just not as sociable as the bloggers back East and down South, so most days it's a little hard for me to travel to one. 

But when I got the opportunity to fly to Virginia to visit my son's family, especially my five-week-old granddaughter, I mentioned to Murphy's Law that I was going to be in the area, and he was kind enough to invite me out a hidden bunker in an undisclosed location...

Not really, just a private gun club near a small town in West Virginia, to wound a few targets with him,  Proud Hilllbilly and their friend Bruce.

Not only did he give me a couple pointers that may improve my shooting markedly, but we had a bit of time to grab a burger and brew at a local joint called Glory Days that prepared the juiciest medium rare burger I've had in a while, and to shoot the breeze for a while with a couple of my favorite bloggers, and their friend Bruce (When are you gonna start blogging, Bruce?)

One thing that didn't even cross my mind until I crossed the Shenandoah River on my way back towards Quantico was to take some pictures of the area. I felt like I'd inadvertently driven right into a John Denver song, as I passed through horse farms and what seemed like an endless stream of wineries, old stone houses and lovely vistas. I really need to convince my wife we need to take a winery tour out there so I can get some pictures when I'm not focused on following the GPS' twisted directions. 

Besides, I need to return ProudHillbilly's spare magazine I forgot I stuffed in my cargo pockets.


6 comments:

Murphy's Law said...

It was a pleasure, Jon. Come on back again when we can both stay longer. The dogs send their regards and regrets at not meeting you.

ProudHillbilly said...

Heh. No worries - I can get others. But do come back. There's a lot of history around here. Not to mention the Wine Trail.

ProudHillbilly said...

Heh. No worries - I can get others. But do come back. There's a lot of history around here. Not to mention the Wine Trail.

ProudHillbilly said...

Heh. No worries - I can get others. But do come back. There's a lot of history around here. Not to mention the Wine Trail.

Murphy's Law said...

Ah, yes. And PH does know and love her wine, as you may have guessed from her multiple reposts of the same message. ;-)

Jon said...

PH, why don't you send me your snailmail address at jsteel1@juno.com. Or Murphy has my cell # if you want to get ahold of me that way. Not certain if we'll get out there or not, but worst case I can mail it back to you.