Wednesday, May 28, 2014

The Stepsister Scheme by Jim C. Hines

 I think that The Stepsister Scheme, and the rest of the Princess Novels are supposed to be something like Fractured Fairy Tales, but for adults. I really wanted to love it, as I had already purchased the second  and third books in the series at a library book sale a while back, and didn't want to feel my money was wasted.

This is a story about what happens after "happily ever after". Our heroine is Daniell (Cinderella), who really is living the fairy tale dream of wedded bliss, just past the honeymoon stage, with Prince Armand, but whose happiness is shattered by an assassination attempt by one of her evil stepsisters, who are of course jealous of her good fortune and feel she has stolen "their" prince.

Helping foil the attempt on her life is Talia (Sleeping Beauty), who found her prince to be not so charming, and Snow (Snow White), who is now pursuing a career as a good witch, not a bad witch, in service of Queen Beatrice, who seems to collect the odd fairy tale princesses.  It turns out that Armand has been kidnapped by the stepsisters and dragged off to the Fairy Kingdom, and the three embark on a quest to find him and bring him back.

Aside from some semi-humorous moments, the book didn't really turn out to be as comedic as I'd dreamed, and none of the three ladies really grabbed my attention as strong heroines, or garnered my sympathies. Only dogged determination got me to finish this one, and the sequels will probably remain on my shelves, ignored and dusty.

No comments: