Thursday, September 6, 2012

How Rich People Think by Steve Siebold

I'll definitely have to find a copy of this book and review it one of these days, but I just saw an article that was extracted from the book, and one of the points in it really struck me.

15. Average people would rather be entertained than educated. Rich people would rather be educated than entertained.
While the rich don't put much stock in furthering wealth through formal education, they appreciate the power of learning long after college is over, Siebold says.

"Walk into a wealthy person's home and one of the first things you'll see is an extensive library of books they've used to educate themselves on how to become more successful," he writes.

"The middle class reads novels, tabloids and entertainment magazines."

Talk about a smack upside the head! I read about 80% novels, and about 20% nonfiction. Fortunately, my high reading volume means that I read perhaps 30-40 works of nonfiction each year, so I'm probably ahead of the game in comparison to the general populace, but I should probably do better. In the interests of reading the entire novel before I write a review, I probably finish far too many of them that are merely average works - a few hours distraction. If I gave up on them sooner, I could probably add more books to my list that would "learn" me something.

I definitely need to up my game - settle for less total books read, but higher quality, I think.

No comments: