Friday, March 26, 2010

White Witch, Black Curse by Kim Harrison

White Witch, Black Curse (The Hollows, Book 7)As I was reading the latest novel in The Hollows series, I just got the nagging feeling that I was missing something. I checked my personal collection, and saw that I hadn't purchased a copy of White Witch, Black Curse, but I thought I'd checked it out at the library. I went and bought a copy in paperback and began to read it, and it seemed a little familiar through the first chapter, then started to twist and turn in new, undiscovered directions. I think I'd actually read the preview "blurb" in the back of For a Few Demons More and that's why it seemed familiar at first.
Anyway, there's a banshee on the loose in this one, killing humans in Cincinnati. Banshees drain life energy and emotions from humans, witches and vampires, with a preference for the darker emotions of anger, hate, loneliness and despair. The old ones who are still around have learned to take their feedings in small doses, hanging around nursing homes, hospitals and so forth, draining just enough emotion to survive, but not enough to kill and be noticed. Rachel's friend and FIB agent, Glenn, has been left nearly dead by his encounter with a banshee who has apparently decided to stop limiting herself, and she gets called in to try to capture the creature.
In the midst of this, Rachel is trying to determine the nature of her relationship with Marshall, the male witch she worked with while chasing down The Focus, negotiating a better arrangement with the demon Algliarept, and dealing with the emotional impact of her mother moving away to the West Coast. She discovers that she has a ghost haunting her church, coincidentally a spirit she was involved with when she was a teenager, dealing with the pain of her father's death.
As usual, in Harrison's work, there's a lot of harrowing action, soul-searching, and hints of plots and conflicts to come. Try not to miss this book in the series, like I did.

No comments: